Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Today's Farmville Moment - Fireworks

We had heard there was a big celebration downtown this weekend to celebrate students being back in town and life in general picking back up again in this small town. When students come back for the year the population practically doubles, so you can imagine the change that makes. We decided to head downtown because we heard there was an 80's cover band, and then fireworks afterwards, and I love fireworks.

So now for today's Farmville moment: As we got close to town, we noticed we were walking by a line of firetrucks. All the sudden, we noticed we (and everyone else in town) were walking about 5 feet away from where the fireworks were going to be shot off. A police officer asked us to kindly walk around the firetruck so we would all be about 3 feet further from the launch site. I started getting nervous, but figured the police had the situation under control. Chris and I walked to the other side of the shopping area and up a big hill just to be safe. This put us about 50-75 feet away from the cordoned off area - still far far closer than I had ever been to legitimate fireworks before, so I thought they may be just a tiny display or something. Anyway, we were sure to be safe because other people were standing way closer. Well, they were regular size fireworks and I screamed like a girl (because I am one) when they started going off. To see where they actually burst, I had to crane my neck at a 90 degree angle and look directly up at the sky. I was trying to duck behind the brick building at the top of the hill when the fireworks started reigning down and as I looked into the crowd I saw people running. Every time a flame came down the group standing below it would panic and scatter. The event was both terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. By the time the display was over, some people were cheering and others were starting a mass exodus from the parking lot. All in all, a good night.

4 comments:

jennie said...

did anyone get burned? sounds like good planning on farmville's part!

Patty said...

I am cracking up at this post!!

Elizabeth said...

i am loving this town more and more (though this probably would have terrified me if i'd been there). i watched some gilmore girls last night, and i'm now picturing farmville just like the small town in the show.

maggie said...

that sounds like such an awesome night -- glad you escaped unharmed :)