Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Road trip!

Last night I went on my first road trip with the team. I had gone to away games before (last weekend in H'burg), but I always drove myself. This time though, I took the bus.

It was quite the experience! I've got to admit, I'm not a huge fan of riding on a bus. Those buses are huge, they sway a lot, and honestly they just don't feel that safe. (Not to mention a little incident where the bus pulled into a tiny parking lot, couldn't turn around, had to reverse all the way back up a steep hill in which all the weight shifted towards the front of the bus until you could hear the bumper tearing up the concrete because the front was dragging on the ground. Just saying.) But, since the team was playing a school in Lynchburg - a place to which I've not driven yet - I figured the bus was a good option for me.

Nothing too much happened on the way there. The team won, so everyone was pretty happy on the way back. Now apparently, every year when they play Lynchburg away and win, they swing through this little hot dog stand off the side of the highway and make all the freshmen on the team eat a chili dog.

So on the way home, we stopped.

And apparently since it was Chris' first year with the team - he was included in this tradition. Not being one to turn down a challenge, he graciously accepted and allowed the team to "fix up" his chili dog in their fashion.

I guess they decided that the chili dog wasn't good enough anymore, so they decided to add a little flavor. That flavor took the form of hot sauce. Dave's Insanity Sauce.

But don't worry, because it's gourmet. So it's got to be good.

Chris took it like a champ.

And although he was the first - he certainly wasn't the last. All the new guys, freshmen and transfers, some of the old guys, and even one of the coaches stepped up to the plate. Most of them completed the challenge, and I'm not going to lie, I was impressed.

Despite the fact that you couldn't have paid me to eat one of those things, I had a pretty good time tagging along!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

that's hilarious! way to go chris for being a tough guy and keeping a straight face! officially part of the team!

Dorothy said...

Chris - very impressive! And by the way... congratulations on the team win!

Patty said...

Ha ha - that is so funny! I took such pleasure in watching this. Chris, you looked much more in control than when you ate the chili pepper in VA beach - maybe the pressure of eating in front of the team!! Don't know if you were that calm on the inside, though...

Catherine McPherson said...

Awesome!!! Andy tells me about it each year and how each person handles it - way to go Chris, you handled it better than most!

jennie said...

nice work chris! man that hot dog looks gross.

Andi said...

I felt I was watching a Man vs. Food episode. Awesome!

ashley said...

hahaha way to go chris! you are waaaaaay more brave than i am!

Chris said...

Ha thanks guys. It was not the most pleasant thing I've ever eaten, but also not the worst. Also, the hot dog was the most red hot dog I've ever seen.

kayla said...

hahah Chris the color of the hotdog as the first thing I noticed. Wayta take it like a champ!:)