Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Waller Mill

Last weekend was Waller Mill Park's 40th anniversary. Waller Mill reservoir provides water to Williamsburg ever since the end of World War II and opened to the public as a park in 1972. I didn't really know this place existed until last weekend, but their offer of free entrance to the park and free canoeing enticed me :)

The park is actually pretty nice with walking and hiking trails surrounding the reservoir. You can also rent out pavilions, play kickball, horseshoes, or cornhole. Water activities include canoes, kayaks, pedal boats, and fishing. We went out on a canoe for awhile, but as you can see in the picture above, the sky was looking ominous while we were there. About the time we got to the clear opposite side of the lake, it started sprinkling. Despite paddling as fast as we could, the heavens had pretty much opened up by the time we landed back on shore.

We didn't end up staying long due to the rain, but I had a great time while we were there. I also discovered that I am not very good at steering a canoe (or perhaps Chris and my rowing abilities are unequally matched). It was a lot of fun though and I look forward to going back on a better day!

2 comments:

jennie said...

wow you are discovering all these new places! looks like a great park!

Patty said...

Ha - way to get a nice cool-off! I would love to do that!