Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Married ten years!

Today marks our ten year anniversary. That phrase seems unbelievable to me! Ten years ago I never dreamed we'd make a home in Williamsburg and live life with such an amazing and unique community. I think of all the turns our life has taken - jobs, trips, housing, twins(!!), ups, downs, and everything in between - and can't be anything but thankful for a sovereign Lord who has plans greater than our plans and guides our steps. Thanks be to God!
(Our wedding - July 2008 - we were so young!)

(Even younger! 2006 in Freiburg, Germany)

A few moments from our first (hopefully of many!) decade of marriage:
- We've worked a combined total of 10 different jobs, but in the last five years, we've each had the same job (though Chris has gotten promoted and I had a side hustle for a short stint).
- I have spent almost six straight years either pregnant or breastfeeding (it will officially be six by the time I wean the twins).
- We've made five different homes together (a condo, a house, an apartment, a townhouse, and then another house).
- We've had four healthy, happy babies.
- We've lived in three different cities/towns, all in Virginia.
- We earned two degrees; Chris got an MBA and I got my BSN.
- We bought one home! And we've lived in it for five years now.
(At the Kennedy Center for the Lion King - August 2008)

It has truly been a wonderful and busy first ten years together, but we are looking forward to a little more stability and less crazy in our next ten years. I think it would be fun to look back in another ten years to see what life has thrown our way. For example, ten years ago I thought we would settle and live in Northern Virginia forever. I thought we would likely have three kids, work in the "constant hustle" climate of that area, and maybe do a bit more travelling than we have. With that being said, here are a few hopes for our next decade of life together (and it will be interesting for us to see if any of these happen, or if we encounter several curve balls on the way!):
- We hope to stay in Williamsburg and continue building and investing in our and our kids' community here.
- We hope to move (only once!) within town to a house that our family will be able to stay in for an indefinite period of time.
- We hope to take a big trip (without the kids!) to celebrate our ten year anniversary once the twins are a bit older.
- We hope for job stability for Chris and maybe a new opportunity for me (eventually) to do something a bit more flexible.
- We hope for continued health for our family.
(Our fifth anniversary - eight months pregnant with Eleanor!)

I love my husband and am so grateful for his company, sense of humor, dedication, and provision in my life and my kids' lives. Thanks, Chris, for being you...here's to the next ten years and beyond!

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

Happy anniversary you two! This is a beautiful post and you two, +4, are a beautiful family! You are amazing parents and and such a fun, supportive, and loving couple. Love you guys!! I want to help babysit for that trip you have planned!!

LA-jan said...

Happy Anniversary! Wonderful post!

Patty said...

Happy anniversary!! What a beautiful post for your children to read when they are older. You are such an example of a Godly marriage! I cannot believe it is TEN. We love you both and are so proud of you!!