Pages

Monday, September 10, 2018

We have a Kindergartener!

Eleanor is off to Kindergarten! I've had a rush of conflicting emotions surrounding this milestone, which I feel is totally normal. I'm proud of my girl - she's definitely ready! I'm sad for me and for Jane - she's going to be gone all day! I'm excited for her - she's very excited! But the overwhelming feeling I'm having is bittersweet...that emotion that encompasses both excitement that it's happening and a wish that it wasn't happening, at least not quite yet. I've had five precious years with this girl at home with me almost every day and she is ready to head to school. She is such a gift, and I have to continually remind myself that Chris and I don't own her, she's been entrusted to our care and our goal is to make her an independent, kind, God-loving adult in the short years that we have her at home. So far, she is well on her way!

We had a Back-to-School dinner the night before school started - Eleanor requested spaghetti and meatballs and then we did ice cream sundaes.

The first day of school, we took a few pictures and then Chris and I walked Eleanor to the bus stop. She was so excited and didn't even look back! She said, "Don't worry, Mama. I'll still see you on Saturdays, Sundays, Christmas, and holidays!"
(This picture courtesy of Jane - which is why it's a bit blurry.)
(The last picture is day #2 - we switched to a different bus stop that had other kids at it!)

And here are a couple pictures from Open House the week before where we got to meet her teachers and see her classroom.

I try to continually remind myself to embrace each season while we are in it, but to leave each season with wonderful memories and dignity for the next season. You can't stop time, but it's so, so hard knowing that this is just the first "big" goodbye in a long string of giving them up until they're gone. This sweet girl is so ready to fly, and we are so excited to watch her!

3 comments:

LA-jan said...

Wow! She is so ready! Pat yourselves on the back , you're doing so well with her!
Love her comments to you as she leaves on the bus! Priceless!

Lauren said...

Phew... room got a little dusty reading that post. You have such a great perspective, although I know it doesn't make the "goodbye" easy. I second what Aunt Janet said - you guys are doing an amazing job! She is a gift, but she also won the lottery with you two as parents.

Dorothy said...

In tears here. This is such a sweet post from an awesome Mom. You guys are such great parents and she is a gift to us all! Good luck Elenaor!!