Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I can grow strawberries

So here's the update on the strawberry I'm trying to grow.  I'm starting to think it's as big as it's going to get...and that isn't very big!  But I think I'm doing well for my first attempt!

April 29:  I first notice the strawberry forming and start wondering how the heck that vine is going to support a full grown strawberry when right now it just looks like a bumpy center.

May 12:  I notice that the vine is starting to lean down because clearly it's not going to support the weight of the full-grown berry, the berry is just going to hang off of it!

May 18:  It starts to show its bulbous-ness. (No, I'm not sure that's a word, but I like it!)

May 21:  The first hint of red is peeking through.

May 26:  The first time I see it and think, "I may actually eat this thing once it's ripe!"

May 31:  It's looking riper, but not much bigger than it was a week ago...

June 9:  I'm pretty sure it's not growing any bigger, but it's definitely redder.

So here's the deal - I think the strawberry might be done growing, but I think this was good for my first attempt, especially trying to grow it indoors!  So, should I eat it?  Chris doesn't want me to, but I want to see how it really turned out!

9 comments:

maggie said...

haha, its def not your typically shaped berry! I would cut into it and see how it looks... if the inside looks normal, let us know how it tastes!

Dorothy said...

Definitely cut it in two and you both can have a taste:)

Erika said...

Eat it! It's not like it's poisonous or anything.

Patty said...

Eat it!! I'm sure it's like many other types of plants...they grow stronger every year. It would probably do well in a container pot outside...

Patty said...

PS Pictures when you bite it!!

Aunt Paula said...

Definitely eat it! Nothing like a home-grown strawberry. It looks like it might be a mutant strawberry (!), but I bet it tastes great.

LA-jan said...

I say dip it in chocolate and share!

jennie said...

most definitely eat it!!

ashley said...

eat it eat it eat it!!! and make chris eat the other half :)