Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tax time

I am in organization mode. Not that I am doing much about actually getting organized, but I keep forming lists in my head of things we need to (or should) get done. I feel like I'm trying to "spring clean" our lives right now...but without much effect. We did however complete one thing off my internal list...taxes! It's the time of year where everyone is preparing their taxes - getting out all those receipts and forms and statements to organize into some semblance of sense and we did just that.

I have actually been dreading tax time because of how much we ended up owing last year. I think it had something to do with changing jobs and moving that lead to an unsteady income and, well, we just owed money. Since Chris changed jobs again this summer I thought we might be in the same situation this year. Turns out my fears were unfounded because we are getting a return this year! We certainly had to work for it though. (And actually, you can replace 'we' with 'Chris', because I really didn't contribute too much this year.) Chris spent something like three hours with Turbo Tax Saturday morning before taking a break and finishing up later that day. Why is it that taxes get more complicated each year older we grow? How about you all - can you cross that one off your list yet?

5 comments:

jennie said...

i always plan to get them done early and then end up waiting until almost the last minute! but your post has inspired me to at least add "Taxes" to my to-do list. maybe i'll do it soon this year!

Rob said...

If USAA had provided me my 1099-INT forms, I'd be done, but they didn't so I need them to get those for me. But I'm going to end up owing a small amount this year. Boo.

Katie said...

We got our 1099-Ts electronically awhile back from USAA - I wonder why yours haven't come through yet...

LA-jan said...

I'm one of those last minute tax preparers. Just don't like to do it, so I put it off.

maggie said...

i have gathered all the things I need... step 1 complete! good for your guys for getting them done!