As is our tradition, here is a tribute blog post to the winner of this year's NCAA pool. In no particular order, 10 things about our winner:
1. This year's winner was my Uncle Paul, or Paul D as he is known in these standings. Not to be confused with Pauly D. Note the differences:
2. In one of the least creative brackets of all time, he picked the favorite in every single game of this year's tournament. That's right, he picked 0 upsets. I felt as though this was a pretty lame picking method but I guess you can't argue with results.
3. He is a pretty good cheerleader:
4. He is a massive Boston sports fan. In the mid 90s, he bet me $10 that the New England Patriots would win the Super Bowl within the next 2 years. They didn't, so I became $10 richer. Since that time, the Patriots have made the playoffs almost every year and won 3 Super Bowls, while the Redskins have been a massive pile of failure. But let's take a look at the old cash scoreboard: Me - $10, Him - $0. I win.
5. He served our country in the army and took intimidating pictures such as this (bottom right):
6. He and his family are moving into a new house this week, so coupled with this tribute blog post, it's got to be a top 5 all-time week for him. Maybe top 6.
7. His son was the ring bearer in our wedding:
8. During my playing days, whenever we played in Boston, he would heckle Coach Shaver to put me in the game. It actually worked one time with about 30 seconds left. I believe my stat line for that game was 0+ minutes, 1 foul.
9. He is a pretty good synchronized swimmer. That's not a joke - it's a site to behold.
10. He was front and center for one of the greatest family photos of all time on the Tower of Terror at Disney World:
Congrats to Paul on his win and having bragging rights for the next year.