Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Rewiring the bathrooms

Shortly after we moved into our new house, we discovered that none of the outlets in the bathrooms and one outside on the screened in porch were not working - something our home inspector missed during the inspection. We had a couple people offer various suggestions as to what could be wrong, but finally our neighbor (same one who painted our skylight) and Chris discovered the real issue. I won't get into it because I am sure I don't really understand it completely, but long story short, after a trip to Lowe's, the guys got busy cutting holes in our ceiling and wall and taking down crown molding in order to re-wire part of the house to get it working again. After a bunch of other stuff like spackling, sanding, caulking, and painting (x4 because we used the wrong color paint from the garage twice and then had to go get a color match made twice), we officially have power restored to the bathroom outlets and outside!

Chris (I hope) is learning lots and lots about home ownership in a very short period of time and I am hopeful that we'll be able to manage some of these sorts of things on our own in the future. For now though it has certainly been an adventure trying to get things in order and fixed up because we know absolutely nothing!!

Here is a picture of the second wrong paint color before we fixed it:

There is still a bit to do to finish up this project but now that the holes are gone and the wall is all one color again, the rest seems easy.

5 comments:

Dorothy said...

An unexpected home owner puzzle. You did it! Congratulations!

Aunt Paula said...

Sounds like you have an awesome neighbor!!

LA-jan said...

How wonderful to have such a helpful neighbor!

maggie said...

the joys of homeownership! we're right there with you on this one! looks like it turned out great in the end.

jennie said...

wow well done figuring it out!! yeah that color wasn't quiiiite right :)