Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Eleanor is almost three and a half!

My darling oldest child is getting older by the day. At the end of this month, she will be three and a half! The other day we were taking a walk and she was wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and an open hoodie. She had her hands shoved deep in her pockets and her hair was long and swooped over half her face (the way it almost always is because she doesn't like to wear bows much anymore). She had an attitude, and when I turned around, I literally was picturing her as a 16 year old!

In the interest of her not growing up too quickly, I wanted to preserve a little bit of her "young" self that still exists. First, she still mispronounces a few words and misunderstands a few phrases. For example:
- together is "todegger"
- ornament is "ordament"
- remember is "wewember"
- already is "aldery"
- she always asks, "is this the 'the end'?" As if "the end" was one word :)
- she thinks Chinese food is Chini's food. The other day we ordered out and in the car on the way to pick it up she said, "Chini?? Who is Chini? I don't know him. I don't want his food."
- "glittering" is her word for "littering" - for example, we were riding bikes and she pointed to some trash on the side of the road and says, "Mama! Someone glittered!!!"

For the most part, her speech is quite good, and while I generally try to correct her mispronunciations, I'll definitely be sad when they all disappear. If I can remember any others, I'll be adding them to this list.

She also still has her lovely imaginary friends, but mostly "Kali" (not sure how she'd spell it but it sounds like kah-lee). It's so odd to me that she sort of came up with this name on her own as she names most other things (dolls, stuffed animals) after people she knows from daycare or church.

It's so sad to me that I'm having a hard time coming up with other things that make her seem little still! She cooks with me in the evenings, does projects with me during the days, does her "Bible study" while I do mine, and memorizes her books so she can read them to me or Jane. She is getting so big so quickly and while it's a wonderful thing, it also makes me miss her being small

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

I love that you are keeping a list of "her" words. That will be so fun to remember years from now!

Patty said...

I love little girl talk, so I will miss it when it's gone, too. Cute pics!!