Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

This doesn't happen in D1

We've been getting lots of rain recently. And when I say lots, I mean LOTS. It's ridiculous. I think someone told me we've had over 20 inches of rain in the last three weeks. The ground is full of puddles. The soil is so soaked that the water just sits on top of the ground now.

A few nights ago during a basketball game, it poured. The skies opened up and down came the rain. At some point during the evening, the game announcer's sound started messing up. There would be weird crackling noises that would interrupt his words. That's when we all saw the ground.

If you're wondering: no, that ground is not super shiny. It's water. Lots and lots of water. So much water that the walls and ceiling are reflected on the floor just as if the floor were a smooth, glassy lake.

The water was somehow running off a hill outside the building and just coming in down the walls. They had to get an industrial vacuum to suck up some of the standing water. Thankfully, the game floor is raised off the regular floor by a couple inches so the game continued during the drenching. I've been told that this building isn't even very old, but I'm not sure whether I believe that.

6 comments:

jennie said...

wough that is weird! so the water was just running in down the walls?? could you see it?

erin komlo said...

Hahaha "a smooth, glassy lake" I love it. Aww so you guys are having lots of fun in all that weather!!! Are there at least thunderstorms??

Patty said...

Wow - that's crazy! glad your game wasn't interrupted! I'm tired of the rain, too.

Elizabeth said...

oh no! this actually happened to the gym at my highschool, which was brand new and built by a well-known architect. not really sure how that happens...hope you get a break from the rain soon!

Dorothy said...

I hope the basketball floor was okay! What a sight!

maggie said...

wow! what a mess! Just think of all the snow you would have if it was chillier! stay dry :)