Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Home opener

This evening was W&M Football's home opener against Lafayette. Part of Chris's job entails being at every football game, and thankfully I also get tickets so I am able to spend some time with him on Saturdays from now through the rest of the fall season. Tonight was the first home game and despite the sun shining bright outside, I had heard rumors of rain so I checked the weather before leaving the house. There was 100% of thunderstorms beginning at 7:30p and the game was supposed to start at 7. I decided to head on over there anyway because I had to work this morning and by the time I got home from work, Chris was already on campus taking care of some of his game day duties so I hadn't had the chance to see him yet today. There was a great turnout for the game but second I sat down, the wind picked up and the clouds started rolling across the field.
(Student section)

Not even all the way through the first quarter, the heavens opened up, the team was ushered back into the locker room and the stadium evacuated. After that the crowd really thinned. Every time it lightninged or thundered they had to reset the clock to allow 30 minutes to pass before letting the game continue. They finally let those that stuck around back in the stadium around a quarter to 9, and the game started back up at 9. It was still pouring and we were all soaked, but I had fun.

Unfortunately the Tribe lost the game but there are many home games still to come...

4 comments:

Patty said...

There are some beautiful colors in those pictures! Glad you eventually got to see the game. I bet you were tired! Go Tribe!

jennie said...

bummer about the rain and loss, but glad you still had fun! tribe pride.

Ashley said...

Oh wow that first picture of the clouds is crazy! Glad you had fun despite the weather!

maggie said...

go tribe! i love that you guys get to go to all the games!